Blog

Archive for April, 2011

Toxic Mold Symptoms

Wednesday, April 27th, 2011

The symptoms of toxic mold are wide-ranging and often hard to self-diagnose. They can be as harmless as allergic reactions, chronic fatigue or headaches, fever, irritation to the eyes, mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and throat, sneezing, rashes, and chronic coughing. Or they can be as bad as nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose. And because the symptoms of toxic mold are so vast and mold often grows out of site, going undetected, it is difficult to know when you are experiencing health issues stemming from mold exposure.

This article from CleaningBlackMold.com better explains the symptoms of toxic mold and how they should be properly dealt with.

To make things even worse, mold does not affect everyone the same way. Some people are more sensitive to mold exposure, some people are allergic to mold and some people just do not exhibit symptoms easily. So different individuals will react differently to the same mold infestation, making it even more difficult to determine what is a symptom of mold and what is just a normal allergic reaction or health issue.

So if you exhibit any of the above symptoms, it is best to see a doctor right away. Do not take chances. The odds that you have been exposed to mold are very high. One third to one half of all structures have damp conditions that may encourage development of pollutants such as molds and bacteria, which can cause allergic reactions — including asthma — and spread infectious diseases. If it is determined that your symptoms are mold related, your general health care provider can refer you to a specialist who deals more exclusively with toxic mold.

If you have any questions about mold symptoms or if you want your home inspected for mold, contact Atlantic Environmental Solutions by calling 877-296-6653 or click here today!

Bookmark and Share

What is Toxic Mold?

Wednesday, April 20th, 2011

We all know that mold is a problem. It infiltrates our homes, damages our possessions and costs us countless dollars to remove. But did you also know that certain molds are toxic? It’s true. While not all molds are harmful, some species release mycotoxins – liquid or gas compounds that adversely affect human health.

This article from Allergy-Details.com seeks to better explain the effects of toxic mold.

Toxic molds cause health problems in a few different ways – through toxic effects, allergic reactions, immunotoxic effects and infections. While allergic reactions and infections do not fall under the toxic effects of mold, they are still fairly serious and should be addressed quickly. Toxic mold refers to either the toxic or immunotoxic effects of mold.

Some mycotoxins have a serious poisonous effect on the human body, often damaging the internal organs and nervous system. Many of these mycotoxins are also carcinogenic and after too much exposure can cause cancer. So if you find mold in your home, it is important to act quickly. Call a mold specialist to come out and examine the contamination to see what type of mold you have.

If you have any questions, contact Atlantic Environmental Solutions by calling 877-296-6653 or click here today!

Bookmark and Share

Mold in Your Home

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011

Mold is not something to play around with. Though some molds are harmless, others can cause allergies and even illness if left to grow in your home. So do not wait, get your home tested for mold before you and your loved ones are affected.

This article from Allergy-Details.com explains how mold can invade your home and compromise your health.

Most houses have some mold growing in them somewhere. The amount of mold growing in your home is what really matters.  The key is to eliminate the conditions mold needs to fully grow. If you eliminate these conditions, you can minimize the threat of an outbreak in your home. Mold needs a damp dark place with little airflow in order to grow.

If you do find mold in your home, consider contacting a professional right away. Even if you only find a little mold, who knows if there is a huge outbreak somewhere out of sight. Mold can be very harmful, so do not waste any time. If you see mold, act fast.

Mold can release mycotoxin into the air – probably the main cause of mold-related health issues. And on a lesser, but still serious note, mold can trigger allergic reactions and even asthma attacks. So mold is not just an annoying blob of fungus. It can have some serious adverse affects to your health.

If you have any questions, contact Atlantic Environmental Solutions by calling 877-296-6653 or click here today!

Bookmark and Share

What is Mold?

Wednesday, April 6th, 2011

You know one thing for sure – mold is bad. But what is mold and where does it come from? How can you identify mold in your home? More importantly, how do you get rid of it once you find it? This article from Allergy-Details.com helps to answer those tough questions.

First of all, mold is a multi-celled fungus. No one really knows how many species of mold exist, but one thing is for certain – it is a lot. Estimates are in the hundreds of thousands of species. Some are useful, some are edible and some are toxic. So it is important to know what you are dealing with before you attempt to handle your mold outbreak yourself.

First you need to understand what mold needs to grow. Once you understand this, you will be able to both eliminate and prevent future mold outbreaks. Mold needs moisture, nutrients, and the correct temperature to grow. Too much heat will kill mold, while colder climates will slow mold growth.

For these reasons, mold tends to appear in basements and bathrooms where the conditions are just right to facilitate growth.  But this does not mean mold will stay where it first appears. Mold spreads over long distances by releasing spores. These spores float through the air, eventually landing on a random surface. If that surface is moist with the right nutrients, a new mold colony will begin to grow.

Not only are these spores integral in the spread of mold, but they are also the main trigger for allergies. When inhaled in excessive quantities, mold spores can affect your health. So if you find yourself with a mold infestation, you should act quickly. Call a professional to come in and assess your situation.

If you have any questions, contact Atlantic Environmental Solutions by calling 877-296-6653 or click here today!

Bookmark and Share