Water damage can be one of the most difficult disasters for a homeowner to deal with. Not only does water affect everything it immediately comes in contact with, but it can also seep into building materials, behind walls, and more, potentially causing future problems – like odor and mold – if not dealt with properly.
Below you will find IICRC-certified tips to help you deal with water damage.
Dealing with Water Damage
1. Call a Professional Water Damage Restoration Company: While you may be tempted to try and clean up your home yourself, the only way to truly ensure that your home is restored to its pre-water damaged state is to enlist the help of a certified mold and water damage specialist.
2. Use Caution: Not only is it important to ensure that all electrical power is turned off before re-entering your home, but it is also important to avoid dealing with any water intrusion if you do not know its source. Flood waters can carry harmful bacteria and sewage waters can be much worse! It is not safe to stay in a building that’s flooded with sewage unless the contaminated area can be completely sealed off. Because of this, only highly trained professionals should attempt sewage remediation work.
3. Protection: If you believe it is safe to re-enter your home, use an organic respirator, rubber gloves, eye protection, and protective clothing.
4. Ventilation: Ventilate any affected areas by simply opening windows. You can also place a fan in the window to assist the process.
5. Items to Throw Away: Porous materials easily absorb flood waters and thus should not be restored.
6. Items to Salvage: Clothing can be salvaged. Soak affected clothing for at least 10 minutes in detergent and hot water before machine washing.
Trust your Restoration Company!
To restore your home or workplace to its pre-crisis condition – and avoid costly errors – it’s important to select a qualified professional contractor, like Atlantic Environmental Solutions. We provide efficient, reliable emergency water extraction / removal services for everything from natural disasters – such as flooding following heavy rains – to everyday water damage problems like washing machine overflows and broken water heaters, to sewage damage.
If you have any questions about Water Damage Restoration and Sewage Damage Restoration or if you have a situation that needs immediate attention, please contact Atlantic Environmental Solutions by calling 877-296-6653 or click here today!
The damage caused by water intrusion is one of the most destructive things that can occur in your home or place of business. If not rectified promptly, the problem quickly worsens and ultimately costs significant time and money to repair.