Water damage, itself, can be damaging enough. But when that water damage comes from sources like backed up sewer pipes, overflowing septic systems, or burst pipes – it is not only harmful to your home, but also your health! Raw sewage contains bacteria and other microorganisms that can cause serious health issues. Even if the water doesn’t appear to be dirty, it can contain up to three million bacteria per teaspoon!
If left untreated, it is possible for the bacteria to be transmitted throughout your home or business by simple contact with clothing or shoes.
Dangers of Sewage Damage
• There are several diseases associated with sewage damage, such as chronic respiratory illnesses, hepatitis, cholera, and much more.
• Parasitic agents found in sewage – such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium – can cause chronic intestinal illnesses in children and adults.
• Bacterial pathogens associated with sewage damage can consist of strains of gram-negative organisms like Campylobacter, Salmonella and E. coli.
• Aside from strains of gram-negative bacteria, gram-negative bacteria also produce endotoxins which occurr at the point of cell’s death and elimination. Endotoxins can manifest in the air through remediation, take for example the cleaning and drying of infected carpets.
• Over 120 variants of viruses can be seen in human feces, urine and sewage damage which can lead their way to sewage. These include: Rotavirus, which causes severe diarrhea in children; Norwalk virus, which causes gastroenteritis; Adenoviruses, which cause of respiratory and eye infections; and more.
For the above reasons, it is important to hire a reliable, qualified sewage damage restoration company, a company like Atlantic Environmental Solutions (AES).
While we excel in sewage extraction, AES is not limited to just removing the sewage from your home or business. We also specialize in the restorative drying process, which sanitizes and deodorizes all contaminated materials using the most advanced drying products and techniques available today. Our sewage extraction and restorative drying specialists are equipped with state-of-the-art moisture detection devices, drying equipment, air-filtration equipment and hospital-grade sanitizers, providing you with the cleanest environment and the best restoration to pre-loss conditions possible. Contact us for sewage remediation services now.
If you have any questions or if you have a situation that needs immediate attention, please contact Atlantic Environmental Solutions by calling 877-296-6653 or click here today!
Our consultative approach and proven methodologies have helped residential and commercial customers throughout Maryland and Washington, DC to resolve even the most difficult environmental problems.