Mold. You have seen it around your home; it shows up in your bathtubs and showers and can be easily taken care of with a store-bought cleaner. Other than that, do you really ever think about mold? Probably not.
This, however, is a mistake.
As this article from ArticlesBase.com explains, mold can be present and affecting your health long before you even know it is in your home. We are not talking about a little mold around your tub, but the kind of mold infestation that you find in basements, attics, crawlspaces, and piping; the kind of mold that clings to walls and gives of a noxious, musty smell.
Most homes have warm and moist areas in which mold can easily grow. Eliminating these areas is the only way to truly make sure your home stays mold free.
- Look for leaks or other water related problems and repair them.
- Maintain proper ventilation in all rooms of your home.
- Don’t leave standing water. Make sure it is dried up.
- Be aware of mold odors and see if mold is undiscovered behind walls or flooring.
- Make sure your dryers and other appliances are vented outdoors.
- Use a dehumidifier in the home if moisture is a persistent or recurring problem.
- Keep the home as cool as possible. This will help cut down on humidity levels.
Mold spores are found everywhere in nature. We inhale them everyday without any negative effects. It is when we encounter heavily concentrated mold infestations (indoors), that mold becomes a serious health hazard. The health threats posed by mold are various, from mild reactions such as coughing, sore throat, or asthma problems, to more serious issues such as respiratory problems, neurological disorders, and lung disease.
While you can deal with smaller patches of mold on your own, larger infestations should be handled by a professional. If you have any questions, contact Atlantic Environmental Solutions by calling 877-296-665 or click here today!